Fwd: Buying a new laptop

Jeff Rollin jeff.rollin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 15:29:41 UTC 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jeff Rollin <jeff.rollin at gmail.com>
Date: 28-Mar-2007 16:00
Subject: Re: Buying a new laptop
To: Randy Bush <randy at psg.com>

On 28/03/07, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
> > I'm like Randy - I pretty much just buy IBM/lenovo.   I've had good
> > repair experiences (something breaks, fixed and returned to me in 3
> > business days), and reliability has been good.
>
> my laptop is my ability to work.  i can not afford to be without it.  so
> i buy the full on-site service.  and they have come on-site to fix my
> laptops the next day in bainbridge island, nairobi, yokohama, and kyoto.
>
> we have one top-end asus laptop.  it is a really nice box,  bought max
> warranty.  went dark, literally, in december.  i had to make clear that,
> if they did not ship it back from repair this week or refund our money,
> it was lawyer time; and i meant it.  it finally seems to be shipping
> this week.
>
> otoh, this is better than sony.  when a viao (sweet box but delicate) in
> warranty went dead, they demanded more than the purchase price to repair it.
>
> some of the alternative boxes are sure sweet.  when they work.  it's
> what happens when they don't work that leaves me with only dell and lenovo.
>
> randy

I had to double check there as I often confuse ASUS (which I've had no
experience with) and Acer - but I might as well post about my
experiences with Acer anyway. Screen failed within a week of the end
of the warranty period but they would not replace it for love or money
(well, they probably would have done for money, but unfortunately I
can't afford to be spending £600 every year when the screen fails out
of warranty.)

Jeff.
--
Q: What will happen in the Aftermath?