Buying a new laptop

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Wed Mar 28 13:01:07 UTC 2007

Until you said $1000, I was thinking about a Thinkpad T60 with the
ath(4) part instead of intel wireless.  I run NetBSD, and aside from
ACPI suspend it is mostly ok.  The other problem is that the cardbus
slot doesn't do pcmcia right, but cardbus does work.  I realize you
want to run FreeBSD, but odds are that what works with NetBSD works
with FreeBSD.

I'm like Randy - I pretty much just buy IBM/lenovo.   I've had good
repair experiences (something breaks, fixed and returned to me in 3
business days), and reliability has been good.  (I have had ~50 such
laptops in projects, including some that were borderline abused, so my
repair experiences are more numerous, but don't make me think the
hardware was unreliable).  I was worried about Lenovo, but a) repair
post-lenovo has been the same excellent experience and b) the T60
seems very well built, more like the venerable 600 series that never
die than the earlier T series which were merely good.