Buying a new laptop

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org
Tue Mar 27 19:55:00 UTC 2007

Hi,

(Yes, I've checked the archives, and found last month's discussion of
the relative merits of obsolete Thinkpads.)

I'm in the market for a new laptop, and am considering a Toshiba P-105.
I've always had good results with FreeBSD on Toshiba before, but
before I go spend any money I thought I'd ask for others' experiences
and recommendations.  My requirements are:

* sound must work
* suspend is entirely optional
* x11 must work
* cardbus slot, or working onboard wireless
* lots of disk space
* comfortable keyboard
* medium or light weight (less that the Sager d900k that has trashed my back,
     apparently I'm too old to lug around all that crap)
* cost about $1000 or less

I'm considering a Toshiba p105-S6197
(http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/pdet.to?seg=HHO&poid=360057&coid=-30605).
This seems to fit, based on:

* Windows Sound System-compatible card
* Intel GMA 950 video, works under x.org
* 3945ABG driver in development, and cardbus slot

Cost is right at the limit, of course.

Anyone have any experience with this model, or with other P105s that
might be relevant?

Thanks,

==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas	mwlucas at FreeBSD.org, mwlucas at BlackHelicopters.org
	    Latest book: PGP & GPG -- http://www.pgpandgpg.com