Broadcom WLAN on HP dv9000

BSDUser UserBSD fbsd62user at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 11 19:24:18 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have been reading different posts on how to make the onboard Broadcom WLAN card to work with FreeBSD 6.2-Release.

I have been using FreeBSD since version 4 so I have some knowledge about it.

System Specs:

HP Pavilion dv9000

AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60 (2 GHz)

1 GB RAM

Broadcom  802.11a/b/g WLAN (chip  4312, BCM4310 UART, none12 at pci3:0:0:)

Anyway, this is what I have done:
My system is a HP Pavilion dv9000, so it already came shipped with an operating system.
Using this system I figured out that the onboard WLAN card is a Broadcom 802.11a/b/g WLAN card using Driver Version: 4.40.19.0.
I first started to go to www.hp.com and search for Windows 64-bit drivers for this card, but could not find any. What I found were the Windows Vista 64 drivers, which I downloaded.

I continued my search which led me to this webpage:
http://fedoramobile.org/fc-wireless/hpsp33008.tar.gz/view?searchterm=hpsp33008

I downloaded those drivers as well.

I downloaded the FreeBSD 6.2-Release amd64 iso images, burned them on cd's and booted the computer with disc 1.

While booting I new that the system would freeze, so I started it by entering:
# set hint.apic.0.disabled="1"
# boot

and installed it without any further problems.

After installation I started the system again by disabling apic, logged in with my user account, copied the driver files to the system through a flash drive.

Thereafter I created the driver module:
# ndisgen bcmwl5.inf bcmwl564.sys

# kldload ./bcmwl564_sys.ko
no match for strrchr
no match for MmFreeContiguousMemorySpecifyCache
no match for MmAllocateContiguousMemorySpecifyCache
no match for MmGetPhysicalAddress
ndis0: <Broadcom 802.11a/b/g WLAN> mem 0xc0400000-0xc0403fff at device 0.0 on pci3
ndis0: NDIS API version: 5.1
fpudna in kernel mode!
ndoskrnl dummy called...

cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
fault virtual address    = 0x1a
fault code        = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer    = 0x8:0xffffffffa83511eb
stack pointer        = 0x10:0xffffffffa56461b0
frame pointer        = 0x10:0xffffffffa83b8140
code segment        = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
            = DPL 0, pres 1, long 1, def32 0, gran 1
processor eflags    = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process        = 865 (kldload)
trap number        = 12
panic: page fault
cpuid = 0
Uptime: 4m17s
Cannot dump. No dump device defined.
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
--> Press a key on the console to reboot,
--> or switch off the system now.

I also tried to upgrade ndis which I found on one of the lists using the following procedure:

# setenv CVSROOT anoncvs at anoncvs.FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs
# cvs checkout -rRELENG_6 src/sys/compat/ndis src/sys/dev/if_ndis

Copied the files to src/sys/compat/ndis and src/sys/dev/if_ndis,
then rebuilt ndis.ko and if_ndis.ko:

# cd /sys/modules/ndis
# make; make install
# cd /sys/modules/if_ndis
# make; make install

and ran the command again:
# kldload ./bcmwl564_sys.ko

but it resulted in the same error message.
I also tried the Vista 64-bit drivers, but unfortunately the result was the same.

Can someone please give me some recommendations on how to solve this problem?

Regards

FreeBSD 6.2 User :D