Nvidia driver and docked laptop.

Jamie Bowden jsbowden at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 15:04:57 UTC 2007

In the past, the Nvidia driver would, when my laptop was docked,
display to the external monitor at the appropriate resolution when I
started X.  It doesn't do this anymore.  I'm not sure exactly when it
stopped, but it's been close to two years ago now.  Is there some
magic option that the nvidia-driver port once set that it doesn't
anymore?

This has been an annoyance for a long time, but now I actually need
this to work.  I have an application that I need to run remotely from
a Linux box, and it makes Nvidia specific OpenGL/X11 calls.  Yes, I
know this is stupid, but it's software commissioned by the AFRL and I
have to use it for the task in question.  It'll only display properly
to Linux/FreeBSD running X on an accelerated Nvidia based graphics
adapter.

I'm currently running:

FreeBSD ghast 6.2-STABLE FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #0: Fri Jun  1 12:20:26
EDT 2007     root at ghast:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ghast  i386

on a Dell Latitude D820 (and before that, on a D800) with Xorg 7.2 and
the NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-1.0-9746.tar.gz port installed:

nvidia0: <GeForce Go 7400> mem
0xed000000-0xedffffff,0xd0000000-0xdfffffff,0xee000000-0xeeffffff irq
16 at device 0.0 on pci1

The native display is a 1920x1200 15.4" LCD, and the dock has a Dell
2001FP (1600x1200) plugged in to the DVI port.

Jamie Bowden
--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"