Help configuring ThinkPad R40 drives FBSD 6.2

Eric Kjeldergaard kjelderg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 05:08:15 UTC 2007

On 29/01/07, Cecil <ceco108 at gimail.af.mil> wrote:

> Hello all,
> I need help configuring the video driver and APG, modem, and wireless card
> for my Thinkpad R40 model 2723-3XU. I installed 6.2 with Gnome desktop and
> apps. The IBM site state that this model has a XGA (1024x768) 32 MB ATI
> radeon 7500, with a Intel 802.11B wireless card. I have been trying to
> read the man pages for the devices that are recognized but I get frustrated
> and lost. I reviewed the dmesg with these results:

I have an R40 myself, different model number, but similar hardware.

        Display:

> agp0: <Intel 82855 host to AGP bridge> mem 0xd0000000-0xdfffffff at device
> 0.0 on pci0
> pci1: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib1
> pci1: <display, VGA> at device 0.0 (no driver attached)
> vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port 0x3c0-0x3df iomem 0xa0000-0xbffff on isa0

For display, you just need a regular radeon agp section in xorg.conf.
It'll have something like  this:

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Radeon7500"
	Driver		"radeon"
	BusID		"PCI:1:0:0"
	Option		"DynamicClocks"	"on"
EndSection

 Unfortunately, DRI is broken with suspend in freebsd (at least last I
checked) so there's no real advantage to adding all of the usual fast agp
stuff that I know of.

        Wireless card I think:

> pcib2: <ACPI PCI-PCI bridge> at device 30.0 on pci0
> pci2: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib2
> cbb0: <TI1510 PCI-CardBus Bridge> irq 11 at device 0.0 on pci2
> cardbus0: <CardBus bus> on cbb0
> pccard0: <16-bit PCCard bus> on cbb0
> pci2: <network> at device 2.0 (no driver attached)
>
> pci0: <serial bus, SMBus> at device 31.3 (no driver attached)
> pci0: <multimedia, audio> at device 31.5 (no driver attached)

Not sure which driver this is offhand, but I would think you would either
`kldload if_ath` or `kldload  if_iwi` (I think this is most likely) or any
of the other drivers.  It seems like intels may have had a port like
net/iwi-firmware required for its operation.

        The modem I think:
> I am really lost here!
> pci0: <simple comms, generic modem> at device 31.6 (no driver attached)

I am really unsure on the modem.  I assumed they were lucentmodems (there's
a port, comms/ltmdm that might work) but am not sure.  I haven't had a need.

        I need to configure this to for the fan I think
> acpi_tz0: <Thermal Zone> on acpi0

The fan (on mine) works automatically.  The thermal zone lets you see the
temperature via `sysctl hw.acpi`.

Thanks in advance for all help,

I hope this helps a little.  I find my R40 easier to set up in freebsd than
in other operating systems, but of course ymmv.

--
If I write a signature, my emails will appear more personalised.