Dell Inspiron 510m - Will 6.2 or 7.0 work?

Sten Daniel Sørsdal sten.daniel.sorsdal at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 22:37:17 UTC 2007

Hi

I want to venture into running FreeBSD on my laptop (I'm used to running
it on server only) and I'm somewhat curious if anyone else has had any
success stories with this laptop. Optimally i would dual boot windowsXP.

Is there any obvious problems with this configuration?
Can i expect ACPI to mostly work?
Will my video function alright in console and X?
What about sound card, ethernet, wireless or touchpad?
Any reason why i should try 7.0 instead of plain 6.2, other than the
obvious code (in)stability?

Any thoughts, comments or hints are appreciated. I'm willing to research
subjects further but right now I'm really unsure of what to expect and
what to look into. It will be a couple of days before i get the right
things to repartition my disk.

Specifications is as follows (according to Everest Ultimate):

Mobile Intel Pentium M 710, 1400 Mhz (14 x 100) (Dothan)
Cpu Stepping: B1
Cache: 32 KB / 32 KB / 2 MB
2 Gbyte of PC2700 memory
HDD:	     100 GB (MK-1032GAX)
DVD/CD-RW:   HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4243N	(Hitachi-LG)

USB:         Intel 82801DB/DBM USB1/2 (24C2, 24C4, 24C7, 24CD)
Wireless:    Intel 2200BG (3A)
Ethernet:    Intel ICH4 PRO/100 VE
Northbridge: Intel Montara-GM+ i855GME
Southbridge: Intel 82801DBM ICH4-M
Video card:  Intel Intel Extreme Graphics 2 (???)
AC97 Codec:  Intel ICH4 (SigmaTel STAC9750/51) ID 83847650h

Running latest BIOS

--
Sten Daniel Sørsdal