DELL Intel PRO Wireless 3945 ABG

Christoph P. Kukulies kuku at kukulies.org
Mon Jan 1 13:08:12 PST 2007

On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 12:45:37PM -0600, Scott Lambert wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 07:28:43PM +0100, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> > Does FreeBSD-mobile still live? I saw little posts in the recent past.
> > Any chance to get FreeBSD working on my Dell Inspiron 9400 with
> > an Intel PRO Wireless 3945 ABG adapter?
>
> Yes, it lives.  Lots of people have found non-computer things to do on
> New Year's Day.
>
> My impression, and experience, is that you can get just about any
> network interface working with FreeBSD.  If the FreeBSD drivers don't
> support your particular card, investigate the NDIS driver which loads
> the Windows network device driver via a compatibility layer.  It worked
> great on my old Compaq Presario's Broadcom wireless part in 5.x.
>
> man ndis
> man ndiscvt
>
> I haven't used the NDIS driver since FreeBSD 5.2.  Some of the steps
> involved have probably changed and I've forgotten a lot of the details.
> You do not have to recompile your kernel.  It's not tough.

Thanks. I lost the other response where the iwi driver found mention.

So I'm replying here.

kldstat

kernel
if_iwi.ko
firmware.ko
acpi.ko

I see no interface to configure. There doesn't seem to be a device iwi0 or wi0.
I'd prefer to use a native driver.

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku_at_kukulies.org