Dell D620 + Dell Wireless 1490 (Broadcom BCM4310) can work with NDIS drivers

Sam Lawrance lawrance at FreeBSD.org
Sat Oct 28 10:11:56 UTC 2006

Saw some chatter about Dell D620, here's a snippet which someone
might find useful.  I have a D620 with a Dell Wireless 1490 card,
Broadcom BCM4310 card=0x00071028 chip=0x431214e4.

I tried to use the NDIS drivers which came with it, however they
caused a fatal trap due to some unimplemented NDIS functions - see
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2006-July/
027119.html for an example.  This won't necessarily happen for
everyone - it may depend on the version of driver you are using.
Anyhow, I decided to implement the missing bits and started by
writing stubs for the missing functions.  The stubs did nothing
except a printf.  On recompiling and loading the driver I found that
the missing functions have yet to be called, and wireless is working
fine.  I'm connecting to an AP using WPA-PSK.

I haven't generated a patch yet.  It's extremely simple, but I'll
follow up with one shortly.

Cheers
Sam