Install FreeBSD on an external (usb) hard drive?

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Mon Oct 2 11:41:20 PDT 2006

On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 20:38:49 +0200
Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no> wrote:

> Hmm, this looks like a complicated issue.
> The external (usb) hard drive have the 7.0-current snapshot on
> partition 1 (da0s1) and 6.2-beta1 on partition 2 (da0s2). On another
> machine (a desktop AMD machine which normally runs FreeBSD 6.1-stable
> (amd64) I can boot the first partition (da0s1), but if I try to boot
> the second partition, it just beeps. I'll have to do more tests.

Ok, I have done some more tests. I connected the external usb hard drive
to a Thinkpad T41 laptop, and it too could boot partition 1, but not
partition 2. I then reinstalled 6.2-beta1 on partition 2, and after
that both the T41 laptop and the AMD desktop machine can boot both
partitions.

But the Acer AS5672 still can't boot off the external drive, it doesn't
matter if I try partition 1 or partition 2, both exhibit the same
problem as described in my initial post (ie. fast scrolling text that
looks like register dumps over the screen until you shut it down).

I guess it is (another) bios problem on the Acer Aspire AS5672.
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen,