Laptop dead, suggestions?

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Wed May 17 18:37:17 PDT 2006

On Mon, 15 May 2006 10:48:59 -0600 (MDT)
Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> My Sony VAIO Z1W died this weekend at BSDcan.  Both the hard dirve and
> the laptop are dead.  The hard drive doesn't spin up on about half a
> dozen different machines and enclosures.  The data is likely gone
> forever, unless I can find a good data recovery place.
>
> So, I'm in the market for a new laptop.  Unless someone is donating me
> a decent one, I'd like it to have the following characteristics:
> 	>= 1GHz speed
> 	>= 512MB RAM
> 	>= 40GB hard disk
> 	Excellent battery life
> 	light weight (< 4 pounds?)
> 	decent scren
> 	well constructed
> 	PC Card slot
> 	ExpressCard slot
> 	SD card slot (with the standard SD host interface)
> 	builtin wireless

I have now a Thinkpad Z60M , with titanium cover.
( http://www-8.ibm.com/lenovoinfo/products/i/heroes/au/hero_tp_z.jpg )

Full specs :
http://www-604.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/content/misc_includes/en_AP/product_pop.jsp?storeId=10000036&catalogId=-36&langId=36&dualCurrId=-36&productId=4611686018425060077

Battery
life is rated as 6 hrs, but actually *using it* goes up to 4 hours or so.  Not
a ligthweight (and the battery sticks out about an inch).
FreeBSD 6.1. Sound still doesnt work . wireless works just fine (despite normal
issues with iwi). fingerprint reader is shown in pciscan ,but not usable.

good luck,
beto