Laptop dead, suggestions?

Gary Corcoran gcorcoran at rcn.com
Mon May 15 21:51:20 PDT 2006

Hi Erich,

>> Why, WHY, oh *WHY*, do people change a post to the 'freebsd-foo'
>> mailing list
>> into _double_ posts to both 'freebsd-foo at freebsd' and 'foo at freebsd',
>> which
>
> because it is confusing to have two lists for the same thing.

Yes, it is.

> I noticed
> this when I have had a question for a list I was not on. I did not know
> about the alias story until then.

I wasn't trying to accuse you, or whomever, of trying to be bad.  But
I'm just curious: did you (or somebody), purposely post to the "two"
lists, because you thought they were different?  If so, that should
either be clarified on the FreeBSD web pages, or perhaps the ones without
"freebsd-" in the name should be eliminated?  Or is the posting to both
list names somehow happening "automatically", and if so by what bad software?

>> lists, who should know better, blindly reply-all and keep up the
>> replicated
>
> This could simple be avoided if the list manager would send out a proper
> 'reply-to' field. So, the direct reply would land always in the list and
> not at the writers desk.

Yes, another list I'm on does this.  In fact, I almost sent these emails
to you alone, because they come in showing Sender: is owner-freebsd-mobile.
So when doing a Reply-to-sender, one could expect it to go to the list!
But as you said, it would require a 'reply-to' to be set to get the desired
behavior.

> Not using 'reply all' confuses new members as they wonder why the list
> is not responding.

I'm not suggesting not to use 'reply all'.  I'm just asking people to take
an extra 5 seconds to look at the To: list and trim the duplicate addresses,
if they notice them...  :)

Thanks,
Gary