ral/wpa_supplicant drops after successful WPA negotiation?

Peter de Rooij peter at derooij.org
Sat Mar 11 02:13:35 UTC 2006

On 10/03/06, Sam Leffler <sam at errno.com> wrote:
> Peter de Rooij wrote:
> > On 02/03/06, Peter de Rooij <peter at derooij.org> wrote:
> >> <snip>
> >> So I got a new card (partly because it's flaky under WinXP as well),
> >> atheros based.
> >> Added if_ath_load=YES to load.conf, and the card is detected.  Beyond
> >> that, alas still no connection. In fact, the connection is sometimes
> >> associated, but never even gets to EAPOL negotiation; time-out before
> >> then.  The naked eye suggests it immediately drops from "UP" back to
> >> "DOWN"; in fact I also saw several "ath0: 2 link states coalesced"
> >> messages.
> >> <snip>
> >> [...] is this the bug with the unexpected timer trigger after all?
> >
> > In fact, the link kept going down even without wpa.  Every few seconds
> > or so.  ping showed a 7% packet loss.  And under XP it still worked
> > reasonably well.
> >
> > Anyway, I still don't know what the problem was, but it disappeared
> > when replacing the AP (the old one kept losing all settings from flash
> > -- I decided it was at the end of its physical life).  The new one
> > connected in one go (maybe 3 minutes, including reboot to see if
> > rc.conf and looader.conf changes worked).
> >
> > Let me know if there's interest to dig deeper -- the symptoms aren't
> > all consistent with an AP failure.  My curiosity may prod me to do so
> > in the interest of improved code.
>
> Sorry I have no context here.
>
>         Sam

Apologies -- I guess I was a bit too aggressive with the scissors...
This refers to the thread "ral/wpa_supplicant drops after successful
WPA negotiation?"
(Feb 20/21/28, Mar 1/2); ref
http://docs.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?43FA61A4.8030406.  I'd get you a
link to more recent stuff, but keep getting a proxy error  on
freebsd.org mailing list search.  (Never mind.)

Cheers, Peter