ath solved my ipw problems

George Hartzell hartzell at alerce.com
Wed Mar 8 16:52:30 UTC 2006

Dan Langille writes:
 > On 7 Mar 2006 at 12:43, George Hartzell wrote:
 >
 > > Dan Langille writes:
 > >  > Hey folks,
 > >  >
 > >  > Just for those people having ipw problems like I was for so long..
 > >  >
 > >  > My ath NIC arrived yesterday.  I bought the genuine IBM part #
 > >  > 73P4301 (11A/B/G WL LAN MINI PCI ADAPTOR II)
 > >  >
 > >  > The price was CAD$113.80 including all taxes and shipping.
 > >  >
 > >  > http://tinyurl.com/d9whw
 > >  >
 > >  > Of help was http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T41 which had a
 > >  > link to the Hardware Maintenance Manual.
 > >  >
 > >  >
 > >  > Installation was not bad, following
 > >
 > > I've had trouble with the ath device in my IBM T42p resuming properly
 > > after a suspend.  Oddly enough, it only seems to happen with I'm
 > > running X, if I swith to another vty before I suspend, and switch back
 > > after I resume, then it works.
 >
 > I just tried 'acpiconf -s 3' twice.  First from vty8, and then
 > konsole within KDE.  Neither was for very long (seconds, not minutes)
 > but ath0 functioned after resume.

I have

  hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: S3

and I just suspend by opening/closing the lid.  I think that there's
some stuff in /etc/rc.{suspend,resume} that runs when you suspend via
acpiconf that doesn't when you use the lid.

 > When I suspend from within X, the screen does not turn off totally.
 > It dims significantly until it is almost black, but I can still see
 > the windows that were/are open.

I don't seem to have that problem, but folks that do seem to use
radeontool in rc.suspend/resume to turn it on/off.  I know that Kevin
Oberman's posted about it.

 > The mouse cursor went away, but came sback after a HUP.

I have to jiggle around a bit before the mouse wakes up, but it does
come back after a few seconds.

 > [...]
 > I'm running dhclient too. No WEP here,  but I'm using IPsec.

IPsec has worked for me in the past, but I'm not using it at the
moment.

g.