Problem (maybe a solution) loading iwi firmware: firmware_get: failed to load firmware image iwi_bss

Erik Nørgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Mon Jul 31 22:07:16 UTC 2006

John Baldwin wrote:
> 1) Can you try booting with ACPI enabled.

With and without the following I get an error once the kernel has
identified all the devices and tries to mount the root partition. It's
something like this:

  ACPI-EVENT SOME_HEX_CODE **** Error: No handler or method for [GPE6]
    .... disabling ....

I couldn't decipher the rest because the error keeps flickering over the
screan.

> 2) Try adding 'hw.pci6.0.10.INTA.irq=5' to /boot/loader.conf and seeing if
> that changes iwi0 to using IRQ 5 and fixes your problem.

I tried and also with hw.pci6.10.0.INTA.irq=5 (looking at the pciconf
output, I thought this might be what you meant, or should it be in hex?
pci6.0a.0?), but this makes no difference and is ignored. And the device
still gets irq 10.

I was thinking: Is there a way to completely disable a device such that
it gets no irq, address or anything else assigned?

Some of the devices I will never use, or at least not in near future,
such as the firewire, the memory card reader and USB2, because I have no
such devices to attach. And ISA, isn't that legacy?

Maybe this could reduce noise?

Of course this is not the perfect solution, but it is workable for now.

Thanks, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818                      web: http://www.locolomo.org
X.509 Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/8D03551FFCE04F0C.crt