Making FreeBSD More Lean/Efficient On Older Laptop...

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Wed Jul 26 07:06:48 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-Jul-25 13:59:28 -0400, DANIEL MAGNUSZEWSKI wrote:
>I have FreeBSD 6.1 running on an IBM ThinkPad 600e, 64 MB RAM, PII 366
>MHZ.

What luxury.  I'm trying to get a usable FreeBSD 6.1 on a P-150.

> I have Gnome installed, and would like to "trim the fat" to get it
>to run as fast and efficiently as possible. Are there any
>pointers/documents that anyone can point out to me that would help?

As everyone else has pointed out, Gnome is a pig.

What I don't think anyone has mentioned is the amount of RAM you have.
64MB is quite small, especially if you're intending to use bloated
apps (like gnome).  You probably want to go thru your kernel config
and strip out all the drivers you don't need.  I strongly suggest
you invest in another 64MB (or even 128MB) of RAM - everything will
run much more happily.

--
Peter Jeremy