Making FreeBSD More Lean/Efficient On Older Laptop...

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Tue Jul 25 20:05:36 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 02:01:42PM -0500, Don Wilde wrote:
> On 7/25/06, Julian Stecklina <der_julian at web.de> wrote:
> >
> >Eric Anderson <anderson at centtech.com> writes:

> >it
> >>>

> >> I was just thinking the same thing!
> >>
> >> There's a lot of other window manglers out there that are more
> >> efficient than gnome.
> >
> >XFCE tries to be light-weight, yet full-featured. If a desktop manager
> >is not needed, I would recommend a blackbox-like WM or WindowMaker. I
> >also like wmii, but that's a matter of personal taste.
>

> I have always found that the original FVWM, v 1.24, is the leanest and most
> easily configurable WM out there. I've used it on anything from 486SX to
> P-4, and it does the job. My only complaint is that the maximize buttons
> don't quite work. However, the ease of making menus and things like that
> make it really shine in a lot of 'lean machine' apps.

	Is FVWM Gnome and KDE complient?  IOW, do Gnome/KDE apps
	play-nice or work with a min of yelps to stderr?  I'm still
	using CTWM which is very customizable, altho it takes know-how.
	I have every GUI app niced down to < -15, so on my slower systems
	things work fairly well.  If you can figure out howto run Gnome
	with most things niced low, that mght help.

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix