HDA sound driver mod for sigmatel 92xx

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Mon Jul 17 05:57:59 UTC 2006

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:36:22 +1000
Norberto Meijome <freebsd at meijome.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 15:17:24 +0100
> Andrea Bittau <a.bittau at cs.ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > by the way, I got a version which should record stuff too:
> > http://darkircop.org/hdac-rec.tgz
>
> Hi all,
> I downloaded and tried this last night . It works great, including with Skype
> (for me, main reason for having sound really :)  ). Thanks!!
>
> Some things though (and you probably know them already):
>  - /usr/sbin/mixer  (6.1 from yesterday) sees 2 devices, vol and rec, but no
> recording device (even setting =rec rec doesnt work). BUT setting the volume
> to the rec device does work.... strange:
>

> [betom at ayiin] [Mon Jul 17 11:27:36 2006]
> /usr/home/betom
> $ mixer
> Mixer vol      is currently set to 100:100
> Mixer rec      is currently set to  90:90
> Recording source:
>
> [betom at ayiin] [Mon Jul 17 11:31:36 2006]
> /usr/home/betom
> $ mixer =rec rec
> mixer: unknown recording device: rec
> usage: mixer [-f device] [-s | -S] [dev [+|-][voll[:[+|-]volr]] ...
>        mixer [-f device] [-s | -S] recsrc ...
>        mixer [-f device] [-s | -S] {^|+|-|=}rec rdev ...
>  devices: vol, rec
>  rec devices:
>
> - How stable is the support for resume on a laptop? I got a couple of crashes
> on resume ( one a hard lock, the other what seemed like really slow access to
> HD, but in-memory apps were ok...ended up having to hard boot it). Just now,
> it has worked fine, so I haven't any hard evidence yet to point it to
> hdac.ko .
>
> Unloading from devd , suspend, resume, reload from devd works every time, but
> hdac cannot be unloaded when XFCE is running as xfce4-panel and
> xfce-mcs-manager keep mixer0 open:
>
> [betom at ayiin] [Mon Jul 17 11:31:45 2006]
> /usr/home/betom
> $ fstat | grep mixer
> betom    xfce4-panel  1237   12 /dev        113 crw-rw-rw-  mixer0 rw
> betom    xfce-mcs-manager  1223    5 /dev        113 crw-rw-rw-  mixer0 rw
>
> I'm thinking of installing one of the sound daemons (arts ? ) and route
> everything sound-related through it. then shut down artsd from my
> acpi_shutdown script , unload hdac and bring it back up...  we'll see how
> that goes.

Another strange thing, not sure if related to the hdac-rec driver:
 - videos from youtube dont have any sound. Flash 7, FFox
firefox-1.5.0.4,1   Web browser based on the browser portion of Mozilla
firefox-remote-20040803 Wrapper scripts for firefox web browser
linux-flashplugin-7.0r63 The official Macromedia Flash Player for Linux Mozilla
and

Sound *does* work in other flash-powered sites :
http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/flashpro/ has a marketing video  from
adobe, and it works just fine.

FWIW, i get a completely hung FFox when using video.google.com (when trying to
watch a video), or any site that references video.google.com.

Beto