Dell laptops

john at utzweb.net john at utzweb.net
Thu Jul 13 23:15:14 UTC 2006

> On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, Anish Mistry wrote:

>>> Yeah, thanks for asking!  My Inspiron E1405 came with an Intel
>>> 3945 A/B/G mini-PCI wireless that isn't supported (OpenBSD has
>>> a seemingly actively maintained wpi driver for this card, and
>>> I have an experimental FreeBSD driver from damien that I haven't
>>> yet been able to get to work).  I've ordered an Atheros-based
>>> mini-PCI in the meantime, and can lend out the 3945 to anyone
>>> willing to work on it.
>>>
>>> Also, the Fn (the blue key) can't be used to suspend, control
>>> volume, switch CRT/LCD, etc, and most importantly enable the
>>> radio on the wireless card (Fn + F2).  Even if the wpi driver
>>> works, it's worthless if I can't enable the radio.
>>
>> It might simply need an acpi function keys driver for your system.
>> Would you post an "acpidump -dt" from your system?
>
> I'll do that later when I get access to it, but I did try
> disabling ACPI and it still didn't work.  Would that make
> a difference?

if you turn off acpi and enable apm on 6.1-RELEASE then all the buttons
work, at least on my Latitude C400, YMMV.

i really liked being able to suspend to disk; that's absolutely broken
with ACPI

I moved up to CURRENT with my laptop because i want to contribute to
*fixing* this stuff, so i cant offer too much help on 6-X anymore