averatec 3700

Bryan Liesner bryan at kishka.net
Tue Feb 28 15:07:10 PST 2006

dave wrote:
> sound, touchpad, vr0 all work.  Anyone got the function keys
> working?  How 'bout apm and ral 2500? THus far I'm happy with the little
> thing.
> Great for travel, as with the power and accessories, weighs in
> at just over 4 pounds.
>

> dave

Sounds similar to the 3250HX I got about a year ago.  Everything works
well, including acpi, with the exception of suspending. That will
require a hard reset to recover.

I'm very disappointed in the ral2500 with either NDISulator  or native
support.  It's hard to get a decent signal in the house, and has
frequent dropped connections. My wife's desktop is located the
farthest away from the WAP and always has an excellent signal.  I can
be 10 or 20 feet away and have a very weak signal. It may be the way
the antenna is wired through the lid, or just that the ral2500 just
isn't the greatest...

I have a friend who has the same Averatec as me, but runs Windows. He
has similar weak signal/dropping issues with the ral2500.  I just got
sick if it and bought a Netgear WG511T pccard with the Atheros chipset
and couldn't be happier.  Always a strong, reliable connection.

All in all, I love that little notebook, but I wouldn't recommend the
RaLink hardware to my worst enemy.

-Bryan