Thinkpad X60

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Feb 28 10:56:29 PST 2006

> Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 19:29:54 +0100
> From: Lars Balker Rasmussen <lars at balker.dk>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>
> I have some technolust for a new laptop, and the Thinkpad X60 is coming
> out soon - what are the hopes of running FreeBSD on it?  Or for that
> matter on any Core Duo?
>
> Support for the builtin Wifi, bluetooth, suspend etc would obviously be
> nice too :)

Since no one outside of IBM/Lenovo have seen an X60, it's all
speculation, but:

Dual core CPUs are supported, so the Core Duo should work.

I suspect that power management will be badly limited until/unless
Lenovo releases the specs for the CPUs involved.

I suspect that the built-in WiFi will work with some driver. Most Lenovo
system seem to use Intel/Pro 2200s and such using the iwi driver. There
have been many reports of problems with the device hanging, but local
folks are reporting the same under Windows, so it may not be software.

If you have an A/B/G version, it should run with the ath driver.

Bluetooth should work. Suspend/resume is always touchy. Every laptop is
different. Works fine on my T30. Some co-workers with T43s report that
they can't resume even under Windows.

Just remember that this is just speculation until someone gets a T60 or
X60 to play with.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)