kernel: ath0: device timeout

Sam Leffler sam at errno.com
Fri Apr 28 21:04:27 UTC 2006

AT Matik wrote:
> On Friday 28 April 2006 17:48, Ross Finlayson wrote:
>> I've been seeing quite a few of these (on FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE, as of a
>> couple of weeks ago).  This is with a Compex WLM54AG miniPCI card.
>>
>> Is this a known issue, and is a fix in the works?
>>

> in my case it stopped when I compiled ath_rate_onoe instead of rate_sample as
> well as I got much higher throughput and response times

If changing the tx rate control algorithm really fixes it then that says
sample may be handing back bogus rate codes.  Since I can't make this
happen someone else needs to dig.

As to better performance, onoe is not especially good and I do not
recommend it.  However sample is too aggressive on up-shifting the tx
rate and tends to vary the rate too quickly so can degrade performance
when signal deteriorates.  I have done extensive testing of all the rate
control algorithms as well as a proprietary one and chose sample as the
default.  However none are anywhere near as effective as the proprietary
one.

	Sam