NVidia driver on 6.1-PRERELEASE causes panic

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Thu Apr 27 12:33:34 UTC 2006

I'm trying to set up a new laptop (Dell Latitude 820), which has an
NVidia Quadro 110 video card.

I've built and installed the nvidia-driver port, and it loads the module
successfully.  However, I'm not getting any newly created devices in
/dev/, so Xorg won't start (complains about not having the kernel module
installed, although it is, I presume because the /dev/nvidiactl device
isn't being created).

Upon kldunloading the nvidia module, my machine panics and dumps, so I
have some cores lying around.

Does anyone have any hints on this?

Eric