6.0-REL && iwi && wistumbler2

Sam Leffler sam at errno.com
Sun Apr 9 18:34:03 UTC 2006

Sam Leffler wrote:
> guru at Sisis.de wrote:
>> El día Saturday, April 08, 2006 a las 01:22:53PM -0700, Sam Leffler
>> escribió:
>>
>>> The right solution is to use bpf to collect 802.11 frames either from
>>> the 802.11 layer or from the driver.  At the 802.11 layer you get raw
>>> frames.  At the driver layer you get much more info (rssi, channel,
>>> etc.).  This is how kismet, ethereal, etc. work.  I've had patches to
>>> dstumbler for several years to do this:
>>>
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/~sam/dstumbler.tgz
>>>
>>> Some cards require that you operate in monitor mode to get
>>> interesting information.  I do not know wistumbler2 to know if it
>>> works like this--but if it does then it can work with any wireless
>>> card that is properly integrated into the system.
>>
>> I've compiled and installed it, but 'dstumbler iwi0' freezes the
>> system;
>
> Just tried it on a releng6 kernel w/ the "new iwi driver" from max and
> it doesn't freeze my system but it also does not seem to work right.
> OTOH tcpdump works fine so it's in the dstumbler code.  Not too
> surprised as it's probably been several years since I last ran it.  Will
> dig some more later.

Hmm. now it's working for me but only in monitor mode (which is really
the intended way to use it).  That is, on releng6 with the "new iwi"
driver and a 2915 card I can do:

ifconfig iwi0 mediaopt monitor
ifconfig iwi0 up
dstumbler iwi0 -o

and see all the ap's near the station.  dstumbler should automatically
switch the device in+out of monitor mode but I had to do it manually.  I
also had to mark the interface up; probably something dstumbler should
do too.  There is no s/n data as the frame data doesn't include that; I
may switch to the radiotap format so this can work.  iwi doesn't support
scanning while in monitor mode so perhaps you didn't use the -o option.

I also checked on some other cards (ath, ral, wi) and things worked fine
in monitor mode.  ath+ral also worked using the system to scan (i.e. no
-o option).  Using that interface you get s/n data.

	Sam