IBM T42p (Radeon RV350) and Direct Rendering (DRI) problems

Dan Olson danolson at visi.com
Fri Apr 7 17:26:01 UTC 2006

Frank Altpeter wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> To freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org wrote on 2006-03-10 at 16:36:33 CET:
>> Ulrich Spoerlein wrote on 2006-03-10 at 16:29:57 CET:

>>> graphics/dri-devel is obsoleted by graphics/dri. You want to install the
>>> latter to work together with Xorg 6.9.
>> Already tried graphics/dri but it doesn't contain:
>>
>> r300-20050719.tar.bz2
>> patch-r300_drm.bz2
>>
>> which is only contained in graphics/dri-devel - that's why i decided to
>> use the devel port.
>>
>> Besides that, if dri-devel is obsoleted, shouldn't it have an entry in
>> /usr/ports/MOVED then?
>
> Are there any more hints on that topic? It seems that the "RV350" card
> still doesn't have support for direct rendering.
> Is there any estimate when this could happen?
>
> Is there anyone working on that and needing more information (e.g. some
> more input provided by me and/or other RV350 users) to make us happy? :)

It works on my T42p with FreeBSD 6.0 and these ports:

dri-6.4.1,2
xorg-6.9.0

This is what part of my xorg.conf looks like:

Section "Device"
         Identifier      "Card0"
         Driver          "radeon"
         VendorName      "ATI Technologies Inc"
         BoardName       "Radeon Mobility M10 NT (RV350-WS)"
         BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"

         # AGPMode is only used when DRI is enabled
         Option          "AGPMode"       "4"
         Option          "AGPSize"       "128"
         Option          "DynamicClocks" "On"
         Option          "EnableDepthMoves"      "True"

         # Enable Page flipping for 3D Acceleration, but might not work
         Option          "EnablePageFlip"        "On"

         Screen 0
EndSection

This is some of what glxinfo outputs:

[olson]keppler$: glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
*********************************WARN_ONCE*********************************
File r300_state.c function r300Enable line 456
TODO - double side stencil !
No ctx->FragmentProgram._Current!!
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:

I know glxgears is not a real benchmark but I get around 1550 FPS from
it. I've forgotten how much I got without.

Just use the correct dri port and make sure there is nothing weird in
your xorg.conf file. If you have more trouble post the xorg.conf and
Xorg log file.

Thanks

Dan