6.0RC1 - enabling synaptics touchpad freezes machine

Eric Schuele e.schuele at computer.org
Fri Nov 11 07:29:14 PST 2005

Tom.Lislegaard at proact.no wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Eric Schuele wrote:
>
>> Tom.Lislegaard at proact.no wrote:

>>> I should have expressed myself better. The touchpad works with no
>>> special
>>> settings, but only as a generic 2-button ps2 mouse. What I'm after is
>>> "more buttons" and that should (in theory) be accomplished with the
>>> synaptics_support setting.
>>> Eric, could you try to set this variable and see if it works with your
>>> hardware?
>>

>> Sorry for not responding sooner.
>> What "more buttons" would I experience?  Presently I can use the left,
>> the right, and both at the same time.  I don't mind setting it... but
>> what should I do to see if the desired functionality exists?  Or are
>> we just looking for it to hang my machine (or not)?
>>
> It would be of some value to know if this is a general problem or
> something specific to my hardware/configuration.
>
> As to the question of "more buttons", the most interesting are buttons
> 4 and 5 for scrolling. If you decide to try it out, you need to set
> something like this in xorg.conf
>
>  Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "Mouse0"
>         Driver      "mouse"
>         Option      "Protocol" "Auto"
>         Option      "Device" "/dev/psm0"
>         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>         Option      "Buttons" "5"
>  EndSection

OK..
I added hw.psm.synaptics_support="1" too my /boot/loader.conf and
rebooted.  I also have:
   moused_enable="YES"
   moused_port="/dev/psm0"
   moused_type="auto"
in rc.conf.  After reboot things are still fine.  Mouse is available on
console.

I make the above changes to xorg.conf.  Now X wont come up.  It
complains of no access to /dev/psm0 (device busy)!?  I leave all of the
above in xorg.conf and revert back to 'option "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"'
and X comes back up.... but I can see no noticeable difference in mouse
behavior.  Using xev (which I am unfamiliar with, other than to watch
the events fly by)... offers nothing that looks new.

Then I decide to remove the hint I mention above... no mouse at all in
console... not reported in dmesg either.  X of course complains of no
/dev/psm0.

Running X as root in any of the above situations yields no better results.

So... while my machine did not fail in the same fashion as yours...I
can't seem to get 'synaptics_support' working.

If you need me to try anything else let me know.

HTH.

--
Regards,
Eric