Broadcom wireless ndis 64 bit

Bill Paul wpaul at FreeBSD.ORG
Thu Nov 10 12:59:11 PST 2005

> > So does your laptop have a "turn the radio on/off" switch on it and did
> > you remember to use it to turn the radio on?
>
> Yes, and the blue light never went on.  With the previous attempts ifconfig up
> and ifconfig down switched the blue light on and off so the button was
> redundant.  That worked once, then never again.  I didn't power down+up
> between, though.  I'm running the atlas blas build at the moment; it takes
> almost 2 days, though 'make' after an interruption does catch up pretty quick.
> Also there is a 3-4 second pause where *nothing* works (uninterruptible cpu
> bound) after the "ifconfig up".
>
> -- Pete

Try it again after you reboot. I think long delay when you do ifconfig up
occurs when the driver is trying to allocate chunks of shared memory with
NdisMAllocateSharedMemory(). It wants a lot of little buffers, and it
takes a while to allocate them all through busdma. Also, if the system
has been running for a while and memory has become sufficiently fragmented,
the allocations can fail. Unfortunately, NDIS drivers to not allocate
shared memory buffers once at attach time: they allocated them every
time you do MiniportInitialize() (and release them when you do
MiniportHalt()).

-Bill