Atheros 108 Mbit mode

Michael VInce mv at roq.com
Tue Nov 8 15:26:34 PST 2005

Sam Leffler wrote:

> Michael VInce wrote:
>
>> Jochen Gensch wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a working 108 Mbit with an Atheros based wireless
>>> card?
>>> I cannot set it up here, even though 54 Mbit cards work fine...
>>>
>>> Jochen
>>>

>> I bought a 108mbit card hoping it would magically work, it didn't and
>> I realized its a bad idea to buy any 108mbit card.
>

> Not sure what your point is but I recently verified that static turbo
> mode worked and got 52Mb/s for upstream tcp netperf in close proximity
> and ~65Mb/s for udp unidirectional traffic.  This is current with the
> latest hal but the hal should not matter. Nightly runs of the linux
> code with

Good to hear you can get 108mbit speeds, the point I was trying to make
is that the hassle of buying two of a specific single vendor equipment
gear that have made their own home made 108mbit standard isn't worth it
for me.

I suppose if you didn't use your laptop anywhere but at a single place
such as just using a laptop only at home and you needed the speed (and
your were sure you could reach it) you could buy a set of wireless gear
from a single vendor with their own 108mbit standard and hope it works.

To me I decided its a mistake to try and make my choice of what wireless
gear to buy on non standard 802.11 pre-N creation that will only work
with 1 single vendor and probably only a single point in time in their
product line.

Mike