Sony Ericsson GC85 GPRS/EDGE pcmcia card

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Sat Mar 26 21:44:09 PST 2005

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 11:15:02PM +0100, Espen Tagestad wrote:
> The irq seems to be hardcoded to 3, but in Windows it shows up with irq
> 7, which in the FreeBSD log I get a message like this: stray irq 7. The
> card works well in Windows, so I don't think is a hardware problem.

I've had a very, very similar problem before, with a Gemplus PCMCIA
smartcard reader, under FreeBSD 4.x.

Before anything else try hacking your /kernel.conf so that sio2 has
the same ISA settings as under Windows. See man 5 kernel.conf for help here.

Failing that, give my old 'route the PCMCIA ISA function interrupt separately
from the ISA card service interrupt' patch at:-
http://www.incunabulum.com/code/patches/sys/pccard-func-isa-routing.patch

...that is, assuming your PCMCIA-ISA bridge is a Ricoh chip. If it's
another vendor, you may need to hack that patch a bit more.

> Another one with the same problem as I (I guess) can be found here:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-mobile/2004-May/003813.html
>
> PS. The reason why I don't run FreeBSD 5 is that it just don't work on
> thia laptop at all.

FreeBSD 5 is less likely to suffer from the same problem because the
pcmcia/cardbus code is totally different.

Hope this helps,
BMS