Activate wireless on Gateway 7325GZ

Mark A-J. Raught (from the laptop) mraught at acm.org
Wed Mar 9 18:56:13 PST 2005

I have a Gateway 7325GZ. I can't get the wireless activated from FreeBSD
5.3 or the FreeSBIE CD. In windows X(tra)P(oopy) (which I refuse to
use!) I need to hit Fn-F2 and it enables the wireless card which then is
enabled every time ms-crap loads. Unfotunately the key combination does
nothing in FreeBSD. Is there a fix for this, or a different way to
activate the card using ifconfig or maybe acpi?!?!

The card is a broadcom card which may or may not be supported, but the
main thing is to get the wireless to come up, then I can think about
making sure I have (or get) a supported card. I can currently use a pc
card, but I hate the fact that I have mini-pci and have to use a pc card.

Sorry for the MS bashing above, but I get so frustrated when stuff like
this is built towards MS without any consideration for other OSes. I
didn't think to check for something like this and was so happy when I
found a pretty good laptop at a decent price that didn't have any
problems with the FreeSBIE CD when I tried it at the store. I thought
the wireless not showing up would be a worst case of buy a new minipci
card that will work. I never expected something like this! AARRRGH!

thanks,
-mark