sound in a 5.3 kernel ?

Freddie Cash fcash-ml at sd73.bc.ca
Mon Mar 7 12:06:12 PST 2005

On March 7, 2005 11:52 am, Lee Parsons (CCGB) wrote:
> I have previously been able to run freebsd 5.x on my thinkpad R32.
> After having had a disk problem, I installed 5.3 on the same system
> over the weekend (reformatting the freebsd slices in the process)
> When it came time to build the kernel for sound, however, I got
> confused. Previously, using the line

> device		pcm

> Would set up the needed sound support.  I read that this is no longer
> supported in 5.3.  I have tried a couple of permutations to solve
> this, with no luck thus far.  My most recent attempt in my kernel was
> the lines

> device		sound
> device		sound_sbc
> device		"sound_sb16"

> This kernel doesn't seem to accomplish anything, though.  I also
> tried setting the bootloader to load all the sound drivers, which
> never did any better than to get me a little bit of sound when
> starting X (then no sound in X afterwards)

> What do I need to do?  What is the best alternative to the previous
> "device pcm" line for the kernel?

Read the comments in /usr/src/UPDATING.  Then read the comments
in /usr/src/sys/conf/NOTES and /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/NOTES.  The two
NOTES files will show you all the devices that you can add to the
kernel.

There's also a section of the Handbook devoted to configuring sound.
Read through that as well.

And finally, I've posted a How-To / walkthrough for configuring sound on
4.x and 5.x.  It's posted in the HowTo forum at
http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/  Read through that as well.

:)
--
Freddie Cash, CCNT CCLP        Helpdesk / Network Support Tech.
School District 73             (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]
fcash-ml at sd73.bc.ca