Thinkpad Thermals

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Mon Mar 7 11:14:20 PST 2005

Jesse Guardiani wrote:

> Kevin Oberman wrote:

[...]

>>> Is 66C acceptable temp for a laptop? It's definitely a better temp, but
>>> It would really stink if my 1.2ghz had to be run at just 800mhz all the
>>> time to avoid cooking things.
>>
>> Once again, I can't define "acceptable". It is not so hot as to be
>> frightening, but it does sound like it's running warmer than I would
>> expect. Dust? Blocked air intake/outlet?
>
> Absolutely not. I just replaced the motherboard myself. It took 2 hours.
> I was very careful to examine the heatsink for blockage or excessive dust.
> It's clean, and the fan spins freely.
>

>> Those can real impact thermals. And, of course, fan problems can be
>> a big issue.
>
> I'm starting to think that my fan should be running, but isn't. The
> whole purpose of this post is to see if I can figure out what went wrong
> last year when my GPU cooked. If the fan should be running, but isn't,
> then that certainly gives me a place to start.

OK, I can't find any fan speed settings in the BIOS. I have LCD settings, CPU
settings, and performance profiles, but nothing for fan speed. I think the fan
is running, as I can hear a faint humming from the vent port, even when the
HDD is sleeping. I can't feel any air on my hand though.

Where should I start looking to tweak this thing via ACPI?

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,