Averatec 3250H1-01 (problem: S3G UniChrome Graphics)

george+freebsd at m5p.com george+freebsd at m5p.com
Sun Mar 6 11:09:35 PST 2005

> If anyone has this laptop or know how to solve this
> problem, please reply.
>
> This laptop has a S3G UniChrome Graphics which I
> havent been able to configure.
>
> Please help! :)

I'd like to second this request!  I just got a "Great Quality" (Fry's
house brand) laptop on sale for $400, and it also has the VIA S3G Uni-
Chrome graphics chip.  It's a great little machine, but I can't get X
windows going to save my life.  Even the VGA driver comes up all
smeared across the screen.  The VESA driver can't find a mode to drive
it and gives up.  The VIA driver also doesn't like it, hanging up with
the text mode screen still showing until I switch to a different
virtual console and back, at which point I see:

VGA BIOS image is wrong!! CheckSum = 53403a
X in free (); error: page is already free
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or shutdown).

I can send a complete log if someone thinks it will help.

Otherwise, most things work on this machine.  ACPI works!  The VIA
CPU runs fine. snd_via8233 runs the VIA8235 sound chip perfectly.
The vr driver handles the VIA VT6102 ethernet port.  The four USB
1.0 ports work without difficulty.  But I can't talk to the PCTel
HSP56 MR modem (doesn't work with the ltmdm port).

On another issue, I have a USB numeric keypad.  When I attach it,
thanks to devd.conf, it takes the place of the main keyboard.  This
is great as long as I just want to enter commands like "789".  Is
there some kbdcontrol mode which wouls accept input from both the
main keyboard and the USB numeric keypad at the same time?

Many thanks to the people on this list go give us all the answers!
-- George Mitchell