Dell 5160 / Wireless

Frank Mayhar frank at exit.com
Wed Mar 2 21:55:16 PST 2005

Philip M. Golllucci wrote:
> I've got a dell 5160 notebook with builtin wireless ethernet.
> The ethernet is none existant.

Inspiron 5160?  It has an RJ45 for wired ethernet based on a Broadcom
chip, use the bfe(4) driver.  As for the wireless, you have two options.
You can use the ndis(4) driver to run the Dell 1350 (really another Broadcom
chipset), or you can replace that with an Atheros-based minipci card and
use the ath(4) driver.

I chose the latter course and am using it right now.  I am running -current,
however, since the wireless support there is _much_ better than that in
5.x.  Running -current is not for the faint of heart.
--
Frank Mayhar frank at exit.com	http://www.exit.com/
Exit Consulting                 http://www.gpsclock.com/