system temperature too high, shutting down soon!

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed Mar 2 19:32:52 GMT 2005

> Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 21:57:39 +0000
> From: Saber Zrelli <zrelli at jaist.ac.jp>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org

> --------------030702040700060105090902
>
> Hi all ,
>
> I'm runnig FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #0 on an IBM Thinkpad R50p ,
> when I run some make install in the ports distribution.
>
> I got the following message :
> tornado root: WARNING: system temperature too high, shutting down soon!
>
> After 2-3 secs the system shuts down.
>
> when I looked in /var/log/messages after booting ,  I found :
> Mar  2 21:24:18 tornado kernel: cpu0: Performance states changed
> Mar  2 21:24:39 tornado kernel: cpu0: Performance states changed
> Mar  2 21:24:39 tornado root: WARNING: system temperature too high,
> shutting down soon!
>
> I was using 5.3 CURRENT ( and previous releases ) a while before , and I
> did not have this problem.
>
> my first thoughts is that it is a ACIP problem. but I dont have
> knowledge about ACPI stuff.
>
> I think that some parameters in hw.acpi.thermal are not correct.
>
> hw.acpi.thermal.min_runtime: 0
> hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate: 10
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 3312
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active: -1
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.thermal_flags: 0
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV: 3647
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._HOT: -1
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT: 3672
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._ACx: -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
>

> specially hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._ACx    , there is no cooling level
> temperatures defined.
> Also , the hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT: 3672 ,hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV:
> 3647 are too close ,
> the cpu don't have enough time to cool down before reaching the critical
> temp.
>
> I tried debugging the ACPI module , so I compiled it with debuggin options .
> but the kernel could not load it and I was running without acpi.
>
> I attached < sysctl -a > and < cat /lvar/og/messages >
>
> I want to keep using ACPI , and I really need to fix this.
>
> For any suggestions ,

You should really use 5-Stable. A huge number of ACPI fixes and
extensions have gone in since 5.3 was released. That said, 5.4 is
getting very close and will have these fixes if you want to wait.

You are seeing the temperatures in raw form which is tenths of degrees
Kelvin. In Current and 5-Stable these numbers are translated to degrees
C.

The temperatures you show are not near a shutdown, but the CPU temp can
change VERY quickly.  3312 is really very cool.

Is your system a P4-M? If so, are you using P4TCC? My experience with
P4TCC was that it was not a good idea to play with it as it defaults to
automatic.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)