Thinkpad 600e interrupt storm

Understudy list at understudy.net
Tue Mar 1 03:12:25 GMT 2005

Okay, it looks like the beginning of the end.
After doing a bit more reading  I found a few settings that might work
to solve my interrupt storm problem.

First and foremost I want to thank everyone who has been helping me on
the list. You patience and understanding is gratefully appreciated.

Unfortunately my ignorance is the biggest problem in all of this.

Here is what happened. I could not get Matt's smapi program to work for
me. Most likely because it has to be extracted and made in a specific
way. I never had the /sys/module/bios/smapi that he mentioned. I tried
extracting it again and ended up with the same result. Most likely there
is some easy step I missed. Unfortunately I don't really know how to
code or understand the structure behind FreeBSD or any other OS.

I went back to google and found a few pages that had a tip here and a
tip there. I also found a bit of information on getting the sound card
to work. I also have the OLDCARD section commented out. I am using the
NEWCARD stuff that comes with GENERIC.  So here is the kernel:

#
# GENERIC -- Generic kernel configuration file for FreeBSD/i386
#
# For more information on this file, please read the handbook section on
# Kernel Configuration Files:
#
#
http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-config.html
#
# The handbook is also available locally in /usr/share/doc/handbook
# if you've installed the doc distribution, otherwise always see the
# FreeBSD World Wide Web server (http://www.FreeBSD.org/) for the
# latest information.
#
# An exhaustive list of options and more detailed explanations of the
# device lines is also present in the ../../conf/NOTES and NOTES files.
# If you are in doubt as to the purpose or necessity of a line, check first
# in NOTES.
#
# $FreeBSD: src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC,v 1.413.2.6.2.2 2004/10/24
18:02:52 scottl Exp $
# Slacker.bjh.homenet custom settings
# 1.leave only cpu I686_CPU uncommented
# 2.ident SLACKER uncommented
machine        i386
#cpu        I486_CPU
#cpu        I586_CPU
cpu        I686_CPU
ident        SLACKER

# To statically compile in device wiring instead of /boot/device.hints
# Slacker custom settings
# leave hints commented
#hints        "GENERIC.hints"        # Default places to look for devices.

# Slacker custom settings
# Unless otherwise noted all below are uncommented
options     SCHED_4BSD        # 4BSD scheduler
options     INET            # InterNETworking
# comment INET6
#options     INET6            # IPv6 communications protocols
options     FFS            # Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options     SOFTUPDATES        # Enable FFS soft updates support
options     UFS_ACL            # Support for access control lists
options     UFS_DIRHASH        # Improve performance on big directories
options     MD_ROOT            # MD is a potential root device
# Comment NFSCLIENT
#options     NFSCLIENT        # Network Filesystem Client
# Comment NFSSERVER
#options     NFSSERVER        # Network Filesystem Server
# Comment NFS_ROOT
#options     NFS_ROOT        # NFS usable as /, requires NFSCLIENT
options     MSDOSFS            # MSDOS Filesystem
options     CD9660            # ISO 9660 Filesystem
options     PROCFS            # Process filesystem (requires PSEUDOFS)
options     PSEUDOFS        # Pseudo-filesystem framework
options     GEOM_GPT        # GUID Partition Tables.
options     COMPAT_43        # Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options     COMPAT_FREEBSD4        # Compatible with FreeBSD4
# Comment SCSI_DELAY
#options     SCSI_DELAY=15000    # Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
options     KTRACE            # ktrace(1) support
options     SYSVSHM            # SYSV-style shared memory
options     SYSVMSG            # SYSV-style message queues
options     SYSVSEM            # SYSV-style semaphores
options     _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # POSIX P1003_1B real-time
extensions
options     KBD_INSTALL_CDEV    # install a CDEV entry in /dev
options     AHC_REG_PRETTY_PRINT    # Print register bitfields in debug
                    # output.  Adds ~128k to driver.
options     AHD_REG_PRETTY_PRINT    # Print register bitfields in debug
                    # output.  Adds ~215k to driver.
options     ADAPTIVE_GIANT        # Giant mutex is adaptive.

device        apic        # I/O APIC

# Bus support.  Do not remove isa, even if you have no isa slots
device        isa
device        eisa
device        pci

# Floppy drives
device        fdc

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device        ata
device        atadisk        # ATA disk drives
device        ataraid        # ATA RAID drives
device        atapicd        # ATAPI CDROM drives
device        atapifd        # ATAPI floppy drives
device        atapist        # ATAPI tape drives
options     ATA_STATIC_ID    # Static device numbering

# SCSI Controllers
# Slacker custom settings
# All of SCSI Controllers are commented
#device        ahb        # EISA AHA1742 family
#device        ahc        # AHA2940 and onboard AIC7xxx devices
#device        ahd        # AHA39320/29320 and onboard AIC79xx devices
#device        amd        # AMD 53C974 (Tekram DC-390(T))
#device        isp        # Qlogic family
#device        mpt        # LSI-Logic MPT-Fusion
#device        ncr        # NCR/Symbios Logic
#device        sym        # NCR/Symbios Logic (newer chipsets + those of
`ncr')
#device        trm        # Tekram DC395U/UW/F DC315U adapters

#device        adv        # Advansys SCSI adapters
#device        adw        # Advansys wide SCSI adapters
#device        aha        # Adaptec 154x SCSI adapters
#device        aic        # Adaptec 15[012]x SCSI adapters, AIC-6[23]60.
#device        bt        # Buslogic/Mylex MultiMaster SCSI adapters

#device        ncv        # NCR 53C500
#device        nsp        # Workbit Ninja SCSI-3
#device        stg        # TMC 18C30/18C50

# SCSI peripherals
# Slacker custom settings
# all commented except for scbus and da
device        scbus        # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
#device        ch        # SCSI media changers
device        da        # Direct Access (disks)
#device        sa        # Sequential Access (tape etc)
#device        cd        # CD
#device        pass        # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)
#device        ses        # SCSI Environmental Services (and SAF-TE)

# RAID controllers interfaced to the SCSI subsystem
# Slacker custom settings
# All of this section is commented out
#device        amr        # AMI MegaRAID
#device        asr        # DPT SmartRAID V, VI and Adaptec SCSI RAID
#device        ciss        # Compaq Smart RAID 5*
#device        dpt        # DPT Smartcache III, IV - See NOTES for options
#device        hptmv        # Highpoint RocketRAID 182x
#device        iir        # Intel Integrated RAID
#device        ips        # IBM (Adaptec) ServeRAID
#device        mly        # Mylex AcceleRAID/eXtremeRAID
#device        twa        # 3ware 9000 series PATA/SATA RAID

# RAID controllers
# Slacker custom settings
# All of this section commented out
#device        aac        # Adaptec FSA RAID
#device        aacp        # SCSI passthrough for aac (requires CAM)
#device        ida        # Compaq Smart RAID
#device        mlx        # Mylex DAC960 family
#device        pst        # Promise Supertrak SX6000
#device        twe        # 3ware ATA RAID

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device        atkbdc        # AT keyboard controller
device        atkbd        # AT keyboard
device        psm        # PS/2 mouse

device        vga        # VGA video card driver

device        splash        # Splash screen and screen saver support

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device        sc

# Enable this for the pcvt (VT220 compatible) console driver
#device        vt
#options     XSERVER        # support for X server on a vt console
#options     FAT_CURSOR    # start with block cursor

device        agp        # support several AGP chipsets

# Floating point support - do not disable.
device        npx

# Power management support (see NOTES for more options)
# Slacker custom settings
# uncomment apm
device        apm
# Add suspend/resume support for the i8254.
device        pmtimer

# PCCARD (PCMCIA) support
# PCMCIA and cardbus bridge support
device          cbb             # cardbus (yenta) bridge
device          pccard          # PC Card (16-bit) bus
device          cardbus         # CardBus (32-bit) bus

# PCCARD (PCMCIA) support
# OLDCARD
#nodevice        cbb             # cardbus (yenta) bridge
#nodevice       pcic            # ExCA ISA and PCI bridges
#device          pccard          # PC Card (16-bit) bus
#device        cardbus         # CardBus (32-bit) bus
#device          card            # pccard bus
#device          pcic            # PCMCIA bridge

# Serial (COM) ports
device        sio        # 8250, 16[45]50 based serial ports

# Parallel port
device        ppc
device        ppbus        # Parallel port bus (required)
device        lpt        # Printer
device        plip        # TCP/IP over parallel
device        ppi        # Parallel port interface device
#device        vpo        # Requires scbus and da

# If you've got a "dumb" serial or parallel PCI card that is
# supported by the puc(4) glue driver, uncomment the following
# line to enable it (connects to the sio and/or ppc drivers):
#device         puc

# PCI Ethernet NICs.
device        de        # DEC/Intel DC21x4x (``Tulip'')
device        em        # Intel PRO/1000 adapter Gigabit Ethernet Card
device        ixgb        # Intel PRO/10GbE Ethernet Card
device        txp        # 3Com 3cR990 (``Typhoon'')
device        vx        # 3Com 3c590, 3c595 (``Vortex'')

# PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code.
# NOTE: Be sure to keep the 'device miibus' line in order to use these NICs!
device        miibus        # MII bus support
device        bfe        # Broadcom BCM440x 10/100 Ethernet
device        bge        # Broadcom BCM570xx Gigabit Ethernet
device        dc        # DEC/Intel 21143 and various workalikes
device        fxp        # Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B (82557, 82558)
device        lge        # Level 1 LXT1001 gigabit ethernet
device        nge        # NatSemi DP83820 gigabit ethernet
device        pcn        # AMD Am79C97x PCI 10/100 (precedence over 'lnc')
device        re        # RealTek 8139C+/8169/8169S/8110S
device        rl        # RealTek 8129/8139
device        sf        # Adaptec AIC-6915 (``Starfire'')
device        sis        # Silicon Integrated Systems SiS 900/SiS 7016
device        sk        # SysKonnect SK-984x & SK-982x gigabit Ethernet
device        ste        # Sundance ST201 (D-Link DFE-550TX)
device        ti        # Alteon Networks Tigon I/II gigabit Ethernet
device        tl        # Texas Instruments ThunderLAN
device        tx        # SMC EtherPower II (83c170 ``EPIC'')
device        vge        # VIA VT612x gigabit ethernet
device        vr        # VIA Rhine, Rhine II
device        wb        # Winbond W89C840F
device        xl        # 3Com 3c90x (``Boomerang'', ``Cyclone'')

# ISA Ethernet NICs.  pccard NICs included.
device        cs        # Crystal Semiconductor CS89x0 NIC
# 'device ed' requires 'device miibus'
device        ed        # NE[12]000, SMC Ultra, 3c503, DS8390 cards
device        ex        # Intel EtherExpress Pro/10 and Pro/10+
device        ep        # Etherlink III based cards
device        fe        # Fujitsu MB8696x based cards
device        ie        # EtherExpress 8/16, 3C507, StarLAN 10 etc.
device        lnc        # NE2100, NE32-VL Lance Ethernet cards
device        sn        # SMC's 9000 series of Ethernet chips
device        xe        # Xircom pccard Ethernet

# ISA devices that use the old ISA shims
#device        le

# Wireless NIC cards
device        wlan        # 802.11 support
device        an        # Aironet 4500/4800 802.11 wireless NICs.
device        awi        # BayStack 660 and others
device        wi        # WaveLAN/Intersil/Symbol 802.11 wireless NICs.
#device        wl        # Older non 802.11 Wavelan wireless NIC.

# Pseudo devices.
device        loop        # Network loopback
device        mem        # Memory and kernel memory devices
device        io        # I/O device
device        random        # Entropy device
device        ether        # Ethernet support
device        sl        # Kernel SLIP
device        ppp        # Kernel PPP
device        tun        # Packet tunnel.
device        pty        # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
device        md        # Memory "disks"
#device        gif        # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
#device        faith        # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)

# The `bpf' device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
device        bpf        # Berkeley packet filter

# USB support
device        uhci        # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device        ohci        # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device        usb        # USB Bus (required)
#device        udbp        # USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
device        ugen        # Generic
device        uhid        # "Human Interface Devices"
device        ukbd        # Keyboard
device        ulpt        # Printer
device        umass        # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
device        ums        # Mouse
device        urio        # Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player
device        uscanner    # Scanners
# USB Ethernet, requires mii
device        aue        # ADMtek USB Ethernet
device        axe        # ASIX Electronics USB Ethernet
device        cue        # CATC USB Ethernet
device        kue        # Kawasaki LSI USB Ethernet
device        rue        # RealTek RTL8150 USB Ethernet

# FireWire support
# Slacker custom settings
# all of this section commented out
#device        firewire    # FireWire bus code
#device        sbp        # SCSI over FireWire (Requires scbus and da)
#device        fwe        # Ethernet over FireWire (non-standard!)

#Sound Support
# Slacker custom settings
# sound driver uncommented
#device          pcm
device sound
device snd_mss
#end of kernel

okay then I went for a modification on /boot/device.hints . This shut
off acpi and turned on apmd. I am not sure what the big deal on this
issue is but you can sure get mail going back and forth on acpi and apm
issues. Here is /boot/device.hints :

# $FreeBSD: src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC.hints,v 1.13 2004/04/01 21:48:31
alfred Exp $
hint.fdc.0.at="isa"
hint.fdc.0.port="0x3F0"
hint.fdc.0.irq="6"
hint.fdc.0.drq="2"
hint.fd.0.at="fdc0"
hint.fd.0.drive="0"
hint.fd.1.at="fdc0"
hint.fd.1.drive="1"
hint.ata.0.at="isa"
hint.ata.0.port="0x1F0"
hint.ata.0.irq="14"
hint.ata.1.at="isa"
hint.ata.1.port="0x170"
hint.ata.1.irq="15"
hint.adv.0.at="isa"
hint.adv.0.disabled="1"
hint.bt.0.at="isa"
hint.bt.0.disabled="1"
hint.aha.0.at="isa"
hint.aha.0.disabled="1"
hint.aic.0.at="isa"
hint.aic.0.disabled="1"
hint.atkbdc.0.at="isa"
hint.atkbdc.0.port="0x060"
hint.atkbd.0.at="atkbdc"
hint.atkbd.0.irq="1"
hint.psm.0.at="atkbdc"
hint.psm.0.irq="12"
hint.vga.0.at="isa"
hint.sc.0.at="isa"
hint.sc.0.flags="0x100"
hint.vt.0.at="isa"
hint.vt.0.disabled="1"
hint.apm.0.disabled="0"
hint.apm.0.flags="0x20"
hint.pcic.0.at="isa"
# hint.pcic.0.irq="10"    # Default to polling
hint.pcic.0.port="0x3e0"
hint.pcic.0.maddr="0xd0000"
hint.pcic.1.at="isa"
hint.pcic.1.irq="11"
hint.pcic.1.port="0x3e2"
hint.pcic.1.maddr="0xd4000"
hint.pcic.1.disabled="1"
hint.sio.0.at="isa"
hint.sio.0.port="0x3F8"
hint.sio.0.flags="0x10"
hint.sio.0.irq="4"
hint.sio.1.at="isa"
hint.sio.1.port="0x2F8"
hint.sio.1.irq="3"
hint.sio.2.at="isa"
hint.sio.2.disabled="1"
hint.sio.2.port="0x3E8"
hint.sio.2.irq="5"
hint.sio.3.at="isa"
hint.sio.3.disabled="1"
hint.sio.3.port="0x2E8"
hint.sio.3.irq="9"
hint.ppc.0.at="isa"
hint.ppc.0.irq="7"
hint.ed.0.at="isa"
hint.ed.0.disabled="1"
hint.ed.0.port="0x280"
hint.ed.0.irq="10"
hint.ed.0.maddr="0xd8000"
hint.cs.0.at="isa"
hint.cs.0.disabled="1"
hint.cs.0.port="0x300"
hint.sn.0.at="isa"
hint.sn.0.disabled="1"
hint.sn.0.port="0x300"
hint.sn.0.irq="10"
hint.ie.0.at="isa"
hint.ie.0.disabled="1"
hint.ie.0.port="0x300"
hint.ie.0.irq="10"
hint.ie.0.maddr="0xd0000"
hint.fe.0.at="isa"
hint.fe.0.disabled="1"
hint.fe.0.port="0x300"
hint.lnc.0.at="isa"
hint.lnc.0.disabled="1"
hint.lnc.0.port="0x280"
hint.lnc.0.irq="10"
hint.lnc.0.drq="0"
# added for cbb
hw.cbb.start_memory="0x20000000"
hint.acpi.0.disable="1"
hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range="1"

Then I found out about a having a /boot/loader.conf . This was not a
file that I had originally so I created it.  Here it is:

hw.cbb.start_memory="0x20000000"

hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range="1"

hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"

hint.pcm.0.flags="0x10"

Okay the I went and did make buildkernel and make installkernel. I
figured I had nothing to lose. I almost  did a back flip when I saw it
boot and no interrupt storms.  Here is the dmesg:

Copyright (c) 1992-2005 The FreeBSD Project.
Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
    The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #13: Mon Feb 28 02:38:59 EST 2005
    root at Slacker.bjh.homenet:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SLACKER
Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
CPU: Pentium II/Pentium II Xeon/Celeron (363.96-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x66a  Stepping = 10

Features=0x183f9ff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR>
real memory  = 134021120 (127 MB)
avail memory = 121507840 (115 MB)
npx0: <math processor> on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface
apm0: <APM BIOS> on motherboard
apm0: found APM BIOS v1.2, connected at v1.2
pcib0: <Intel 82443BX (440 BX) host to PCI bridge> pcibus 0 on motherboard
pir0: <PCI Interrupt Routing Table: 5 Entries> on motherboard
pci0: <PCI bus> on pcib0
agp0: <Intel 82443BX (440 BX) host to PCI bridge> mem
0x40000000-0x43ffffff at device 0.0 on pci0
pcib1: <PCIBIOS PCI-PCI bridge> at device 1.0 on pci0
pci1: <PCI bus> on pcib1
pci1: <display, VGA> at device 0.0 (no driver attached)
cbb0: <TI1251 PCI-CardBus Bridge> mem 0x50102000-0x50102fff irq 11 at
device 2.0 on pci0
cardbus0: <CardBus bus> on cbb0
pccard0: <16-bit PCCard bus> on cbb0
cbb1: <TI1251 PCI-CardBus Bridge> mem 0x50101000-0x50101fff irq 11 at
device 2.1 on pci0
cardbus1: <CardBus bus> on cbb1
pccard1: <16-bit PCCard bus> on cbb1
pci0: <multimedia, audio> at device 6.0 (no driver attached)
isab0: <PCI-ISA bridge> at device 7.0 on pci0
isa0: <ISA bus> on isab0
atapci0: <Intel PIIX4 UDMA33 controller> port
0xfcf0-0xfcff,0x376,0x170-0x177,0x3f6,0x1f0-0x1f7 at device 7.1 on pci0
ata0: channel #0 on atapci0
ata1: channel #1 on atapci0
uhci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> port 0x8400-0x841f irq
11 at device 7.2 on pci0
usb0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> on uhci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
pci0: <bridge, PCI-unknown> at device 7.3 (no driver attached)
cpu0 on motherboard
orm0: <ISA Option ROM> at iomem 0xc0000-0xcbfff on isa0
pmtimer0 on isa0
atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x64,0x60 on isa0
atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> irq 1 on atkbdc0
kbd0 at atkbd0
psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
psm0: model IntelliMouse Explorer, device ID 4
fdc0: <Enhanced floppy controller> at port 0x3f0-0x3f5 irq 6 drq 2 on isa0
fd0: <1440-KB 3.5" drive> on fdc0 drive 0
ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x3bc-0x3c3 irq 7 on isa0
ppc0: Generic chipset (NIBBLE-only) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppbus0: <Parallel port bus> on ppc0
plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0
sc0: <System console> at flags 0x100 on isa0
sc0: VGA <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x300>
sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio0: type 16550A
sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio1: port may not be enabled
vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port 0x3c0-0x3df iomem 0xa0000-0xbffff on isa0
unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <IBM3780> can't assign resources (irq)
unknown: <PNP0700> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0c02> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0400> can't assign resources (port)
pcm0: <CS423x-PCI> at port 0x220-0x233,0x388-0x38b,0x530-0x537 irq 5 drq
0,1 flags 0x10 on isa0
unknown: <IBM0071> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0e03> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0680> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0680> can't assign resources (port)
Timecounters tick every 10.000 msec
ad0: 11513MB <FUJITSU MHK2120AT/D834> [23392/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA33
acd0: CDROM <TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-1902B/1717> at ata1-master PIO4
ed1: <D-Link DFE-670TXD> at port 0x100-0x11f irq 11 function 0 config 32
on pccard1
ed1: Ethernet address: 00:50:ba:cb:54:f0
ed1: if_start running deferred for Giant
ed1: type DL10022 (16 bit)
miibus0: <MII bus> on ed1
ukphy0: <Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface> on miibus0
ukphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a

I don't know what the "unkown" stuff means but the the IRQ conflicts
appear to be gone. Here is the result of dmesg | grep irq

[bhorne at Slacker:bhorne, 09:46 PM, Mon Feb 28]>dmesg | grep irq
[...]

I am not sure if this is a final acceptable solution, so I submit this
for approval. I know there is a ton of information here. However I don't
want to leave something important out. Thanks again everyone. Let me know.

Sincerely,
Brendhan