JVC MP-XP7210 Missing Operating System

Axel Steiner ast at treibsand.com
Thu Jun 30 15:06:05 GMT 2005

Hi,

> No CD? Ouch. That does make things a bit difficult.

yes, it's a Subnotebook. There's no space for a cd ;)

> Which sysinstall options did you use? Any of them should have asked you
> about installing an MBR. If you have only FreeBSD on the disk, I'd
> suggest just using the standard MBR and not the FreeBSD MBR.

I used the standard MBR.

> You can also install a standard MBR with a DOS disk or get a FIXIT
> floppy and use that to get a slim version of FreeBSD up so that you can
> try to track down the problem. It will include boot0cfg. Or just use the
> floppies to bring up sysinstall and select "Configure". Than you can
> select "Fdisk" to verify the slices. Make sure that the FreeBSD slice is
> flagged as bootable. If not, you have the option of setting it. When you
> select the "Write changes" option, it will put up a warning about
> sysinstall normally not wanting you to do a write, but you will not be
> re-installing the OS, so you can write it.

I also tried the osbs135.exe to create a new MBR/Bootloader. But then
I also couldn't boot and got "read error". The slice was marked as bootable.

> When you exist Fdisk, you will get a request to define the MBR. If you
> will have multiple OSes on the system, you probably want "BootMgr". If
> FreeBSD is the only OS, select "Standard".
>
> Then select "Label" to look at the partition table. This will only list
> named and sizes, but it is something to check on.
>
> Unless you modify the slices or partitions, these operations will not
> cause the loss of any of the OS files on the disk. Neither will setting
> the slice to bootable.

What me really confused is that FreeBSD 4.11 works perfectly, but 5.4 won't
boot after installing. Now I solved the problem by upgrading 4.11 -> 5.4
Had sysinstall heavily changed since 4.11?

Bye,
Axel