JVC MP-XP7210 Missing Operating System

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Jun 30 00:05:00 GMT 2005

> Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 23:31:29 +0200
> From: Axel Steiner <ast-freebsd-mobile at treibsand.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>
> Hi,
>
> I've just installed FreeBSD 5.4-Release on a JVC MP-XP 7210
> Notebook. Installation works fine, but when I want to boot
> I get "Missing Operating System". Anyone got an idea why
> the system is not booting? Is there maybe no bootloader
> installed?

A problem with the boot block is the most likely thing.

I assume that there were no errors during the install, but there is
little information on it, either, which leaves almost nothing to go on.

You should boot up the installation CD and run the live OS. You should
be able to look at the slices and partitions on your disk to see if they
are OK. ('fdisk ad0' and 'bsdlabel ad0') if FreeBSD is the only system
on the disk, you can also use the system to write a boot block to the
disk, (boot0cfg -B ad0)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)