HOSTAP mode is B-compatible?

Kan Cai kcai at cs.ubc.ca
Thu Jun 9 03:33:40 GMT 2005

Greetings all:

  Sorry if you receive this email multiple times. I was sending this email
to current, but I guess here is more appropriate. (Let me know if it
isn't).

  I currently set up a linksys WMP54G card (ralink chipset based) under
Freebsd 6.0 to act as an access point, using hostap mode. It works great
for other 802.11g clients, powerbook can connect to it without any
problem.

  However, it seems that the 802.11b cards cannot associate OR receive
messages from the access points. I first used an orinoco golden card, it
cannot even detect the access point. Then I used a cisco aironet card. It
can probe and associate with the access point. But the ping fails. Using
tcpdump, the problem turns out that it cannot receive the ARP reply sent
from the Linksys WMP54G access point. However, the APR request can be
successfully delivered to the access point. I have also checked the ARP
and routing tables, all seem to be fine.

  The ifconfig output of the WMP54G looks as follows:

  ral0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet6 fe80::212:17ff:fe64:5b5d%ral0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
        ether 00:12:17:64:5b:5d
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect <hostap>
(autoselect <hostap>)
        status: associated
        ssid ken channel 4 bssid 00:12:17:64:5b:5d
        authmode OPEN privacy OFF txpowmax 100 protmode CTS dtimperiod 1
        bintval 100

  Need to mention that I have tried to set AP mode to 11b and media to
DS/11Mbps, but it doesn't work either. Specially when set the mode to 11b,
it breaks the communication with the 11G clients. And it cannot recover
even when setting mode back to 11g or auto. I have to reboot to solve the
problem.

  I dbout if this is b-compatible problem, and am curious that if it is
possible to do this. Is this possible a bug in net80211 layer or the
driver itself? The client side uses FreeBSD 5.3, I'll assume it doesn't
matter, or does it?

  Please let me know if anything I am doing wrong. I'll surely appreciate
any help on this matter.

cheers,
--ken