ipw driver causes total system freeze

Niki Denev nike_d at cytexbg.com
Sun Jan 9 07:37:07 PST 2005

Dan Langille wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've had about 6 total system freezes requiring a power cycle on my
> FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE with ipw-freebsd-1.6.3.tgz. All freezes have
> occurred when running xorg-6.8.1 and KDE
>
> The main issue in common is ssh sessions. From memory, each freeze
> occuring during one of the following actions:
>
> 1 - ssh session (either ssh or putty) that encounters a large amount
> of screen traffic (e.g cat a large file)
> 2 - switching from/to an rdesktop session.
>
> Freezes are total. Keyboard control-alt-delete does not work.
> Function keys will not take me to another console. Mouse cursor will
> not move.
>
> I'm now running on ndis to see what's going on.
>
> My laptop is an IBM ThinkPad T41.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Originally posted at:
>
> http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/ipw/forum/read.php?f=1&i=432&t=432

I do experience freezes when try to load the driver/firmware under X.
The machine freezes immediately and only hardreset works.
I haven't had such problems under normal conditions, i'm also running
Xorg. (must check the version), and as window manager i'm using XFCE.
Also i've noticed something strange when running the latest ipw driver
for -current : cvsup sessions can't finish successfully, and they always
exit with "TreeCompFailed network failure" but on different places.
I haven't had such issues with ndis(at least when i was using it, before
ipw came out) and previous versions of ipw.
The machine is IBM ThinkPad X31.

P.S.: This is probably more appropriate for the ipw forum, but i'm
curious if anyone else has similar problems?