Kernel crashes while installing on a Toshiba laptop

Guillaume Ballet gballet at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 10:59:58 PST 2005

On 12/27/05, John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 27 December 2005 12:33 pm, Guillaume Ballet wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I tried to install FreeBSD on a (Japanese) Toshiba PX/410 laptop, which
> has
> > a Celeron M processor and a firewire port.
> > When the kernel boot, after the boot menu, I get something like
> >
> > config 1 on pccard0
> > NMI ISA a1, EISA ff
> > RAM parity error, likely hardware failure.
>
> Like the message says, you probably have a hardware problem.  RAM parity
> error
> means your memory is probably broken.

That's unlikely. I ran memtest86, and got no error. I removed the memory
extention and it still failed. I ran it only with the memory extention, once
again it failed. Other people, even on this very mailing-list, have
described those problems a while ago.
Maybe I should add that this problem occurs when detecting the Firewire
devices. Is there a way to start a kernel without loading the firewire
manager? Once the system is installed, I know what to do...

Anyway, thank you John.