sound doesn't work on medion MD9580F laptop using FreeBSD 5.3

fournilgilles at free.fr fournilgilles at free.fr
Tue Dec 6 03:28:17 PST 2005

hi everyone,

I have a medion MD9580F laptop  and am using FreeBSD 5.3.

Everything works perfectly fine except the sound :o(

It has an ESS Technologies ES1988 Allegro-1 COMM (rev 12) sound card which
perfectly fine under linux (when I boot on a live knoppix cd for instance)
which uses the maestro3 and ac97_codec modules.

I would be very greatful to you if you could help me solve this problem :o)

here's an exerpt of the sound related lines in dmesg :

pci0: <PCI bus> on pcib0
pci0: <multimedia, audio> at device 4.0 (no driver attached)
pci0: <simple comms> at device 6.0 (no driver attached)

speaker0: <PC speaker> at port 0x61 on isa0

unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0c02> can't assign resources (port)
psmcpnp0: irq resource info is missing; assuming irq 12
unknown: <PNP0700> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0510> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0400> can't assign resources (port)

thank you all in advance for your kind help

Gilles