sprintpcs treo 650 & blutooth & dialup networking

Maksim Yevmenkin maksim.yevmenkin at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 20:11:10 GMT 2005

Hello,

> > aha! good old "reboot" fixes everything :)
>
> The same thing happened with my -current laptop -- rebooting
> the treo fixed it.  This time I knew what to do so I didn't
> experiment around and the laptop didn't freeze either!

could you please try to re-create freeze condition and tell me exact
steps? it sounds like problem to me.

> > > So I guess I had to reboot treo....  But it sure would be
> > > nice to know what exactly went wrong....  Ah well.
> >
> > if you have hcidump's from non-working sessions please send them to me.
>
> I don't have them anymore but will try to recreate this condition.

thanks!

[...]

> Meta-comment:
> We sorely need a unified way of connecting to the net and
> dealing with computer mobility.  An an example, my laptop
> connects via ethernet, wifi, cell, dialup.  I do this at home
> (kitchen, office, backyard), at work and while travelling.  I
> prefer to never reboot so manually I do something like
>         /etc/rc.d/netif stop <interface1>
>         /etc/rc.d/netif start <interface2>
> but rfcomm_pppd doesn't fit in this scheme as bunch of
> steps are not automated.

yes, bluetooth was never integrated into rc scripts. someone promised
to do the work, but then disappear :(

btw, if you only need to use rfcomm_pppd(8) in client mode and you
never intend to provide LAN service to bluetooth clients then you
could just use ppp(8) + rfcomm_sppd(1). the ppp configuration is
pretty much the same. all you need to do is to add to your
"rfcomm-dialup" section

set device "!/usr/bin/rfcomm_sppd -a mytreo -c 1"

this way ppp(8) will call rfcomm_sppd(1) to establish bluetooth rfcomm
connection and will use it to talk to make the call etc. in this
scenario you simply start ppp as

# ppp rfcomm-dialup

and it should work. ppp(8) is integrated into rc scripts so it should
be more user friendly.

> Ideally the machine finds the most preferred interface and
> connects to the net via it.  When it goes away, it will try
> the next preferred one.  If a more preferred interface shows
> up, the net connection is seamlessly switched to it.  If I
> switch from home to work environment, my home connections
> remain valid through use of a VPN.  If I switch from work to
> home my work connections remail valid through a VPN. Etc.
> I suspend the machine in one environment and resume in another,
> it still works as one would expect.
>
> What is needed is a `netplumber' that will always find a path
> to the net regardless of where your machine is physically
> located and tries to keep all open connections alive.

i doubt it will work in real life. switching connections on the fly
will most likely changeyour host ip/routes/etc. which means all
existing (at the time of switch) network connections will be
terminated.

thanks,
max