[Again] PCCARD & Wireless Aironet 350

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Apr 27 07:51:21 PDT 2005

In message: <20050421110650.GA20593 at maeko.hayai.de>
            Marco Wertejuk <wertejuk at mwcis.com> writes:
: |
: | I'm now "forgetting" my long experience with linux to try to deal with this
: | problem "as a child", that is giving nothing for granted and testing!
: | So, after having read the many pieces of doc around the net, I started from
: | scratch and began to issue the very basic commands related to pccards by
: | hand.
: | To start with I issued:
: | pccardd
: | and the answer was the following fatal error: No PC CARDS slots found!
: | What does it mean "exactly"? Is a matter of driver? of memory?
:
: If I'm not mistaken, pccardd is an outdated utility from an older
: pcmcia implementation called OLDCARD, but nowadays freebsd uses
: NEWCARD which doesn't need any utilities or settings at all (at
: least for me, I just plugin my cards and they work if the apropriate
: modules are present (like 'an' in this case))

pccardd is paired with OLDCARD.  NEWCARD doesn't use pccardd, but
rather relies on devd to configure the devices once they've been
recognized by the kernel and added to the driver tree in the kernel
(either with or without a driver attaching).  This sounds like the
pccard driver is getting an address that's bad for this machine, for
reasons as yet unknown, and reading all 'ff' in the CIS for the card.
This in turn will produce the infamous 'this card has no functions'
message.

: Perhaps Warner can clearify this if he reads this thread :)

Maybe :-)

Warner