Use VGA connector on FreeBSD

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Mon Apr 25 23:53:49 PDT 2005

Pierre-Luc Drouin wrote:

> Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
>
>> Pierre-Luc Drouin writes:
>>
>>> I would like to buy a laptop and I would like to know if this is
>>> usually possible to use the external VGA connector on FreeBSD.
>>

>> It is. That's not OS-dependent.
>>
>> FreeBSD probably cannot switch output destination, but the magic key
>> on the keyboard can (Fn-F10 on my laptop).
>>
>> Arnt
>>
> ok thanks. I had heard of some people unable to use projectors with
> Linux (while it worked on Windows) so I thought it could depend on the
> OS. I had also read that we have to edit de X config file and add the
> configuration parameters for the external monitor/projector so I
> thought the X11 driver had something to do with it.

If your projector can only do XGA (1024x768) and your display can do
more (mine does SGXA+, 1440x1050) you've got to switch to a lower
resolution.

If there a tool that allows normal, non-root users to switch to
different resolutions?
I can easily have two copies of XF86config and swap them as root, but a
secure way for doing that as non-root would be good.

cheers,
Rainer