help with ndis and ipw2100 under 5-STAB LE

Ben Calvert ben at flyingwalrus.net
Sat Apr 9 16:57:34 PDT 2005

sorry if this has been covered, i haven't found any definiitive answers in any
of the archives or on google:

am trying to get my ipw2100 card working under ndis with 5-STABLE*.  have
successfully set up the ndis and if_ndis module with the inf and sys file
from dell, but i consistantly get the following output from ifconfig :

	ndis0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        ether 00:04:23:53:53:5e
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect
        status: no carrier
        ssid ""
        channel -1 authmode OPEN powersavemode OFF powersavesleep 100
        rtsthreshold 2312 protmode CTS
        wepmode OFF weptxkey 1

I suspect that i'm somehow not getting the firmware to load.  strangely, i
don't see any messages about trying to load the firmware, whether i do
manually from the console or from loader.conf... so i don't really know which
file is the firmware file.

can someone who's done this successfully help me out ? thanks.

Potentially usefull info:

	$ uname -a
	FreeBSD lorax.stonehenge-net.com 5.4-STABLE FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE \
	#2: Sat Apr  9 12:45:11 PDT 2005 \
	root at lorax.stonehenge-net.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/NOTSUCK  i386

I built the if_ndis module with w70n501.inf and w70n51.sys from the R86279.EXE
download supplied by dell

thanks,

Ben

--