Fatal Trap 12 while first boot

Jochen Gensch incmc at gmx.de
Thu Sep 30 05:52:01 PDT 2004

Thomas Beer wrote:

> I copied the 5.2.1-Release disks from freebsd.org and tried booting.
> Kernel.flp runs smoothly. Insterting mfsroot floppy boots
> normaly, too. After or during the boot procedure a
> "Fatal trap 12 page fault while in kernel mode pops" up.
> I would like to install FBSD on a IBM T42p. I searched
> the archives on freebsd.org and googled around with
> no definitive results. If there is more information needed
> I would be glad to provide them.

I couldn't mange to install 5.2.1, too. So I used 5.1 and upgraded to
5.3 instead. That works fine. You could also get ISO of the 5.3-BETAs
somewhere. Another thing you could try is doing a 'set
hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range=1' before booting the kernel. This was
mandatory for my A30p before 5.3.

Cheers, Jochen