Thinkpad drive noise [was Re: Thinkpad Hidden Partition & MBR]

Peter Radcliffe pir at pir.net
Sat Sep 25 13:14:34 PDT 2004

George Hartzell <hartzell at kestrel.alerce.com> probably said:
> When I first got the machine, it was totally silent.
>
> Now, I hear disk noises.  I think that the disk is trying to park its
> head, and/or spin down to save power, but something keeps touching it
> and it has to restart.
>
> I've been down this road before w/ a previous laptop and didn't have
> much luck figuring it out.  It's just a "dink", followed a short time
> later by a "ssssshhhh-tunk" (yep, sounds *just* like that...).

Your disk is doing thermal recalibration. Some disks seem to do it
more than others. Tweaking some powersave things can help (the thermal
state becomes more consistant) but often there is no way to get rid of
it and it seems to be more common in newer disks.

Unless it gets really loud I just ignore it.

P.

--
pir