Thinkpad drive noise [was Re: Thinkpad Hidden Partition & MBR]

George Hartzell hartzell at kestrel.alerce.com
Sat Sep 25 11:59:17 PDT 2004

 > [...]
 > >   - My only niggles with the machine at this point are:

Actually, there's one other gripe that's been growing on me.

When I first got the machine, it was totally silent.

Now, I hear disk noises.  I think that the disk is trying to park its
head, and/or spin down to save power, but something keeps touching it
and it has to restart.

I've been down this road before w/ a previous laptop and didn't have
much luck figuring it out.  It's just a "dink", followed a short time
later by a "ssssshhhh-tunk" (yep, sounds *just* like that...).

It seems to happen more when I'm on AC power, which is confusing.

If anyone has any insight into power management and IBM/Hitachi disk
drives, I'd love to hear it.  My drive identifies itself as an
"HTS548080M9AT00/MG4OA5BA".

g.