Wireless install of 5.3 Beta X...Where's the drivers flp image that 5.2.1 had?...

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Fri Sep 17 10:27:07 PDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 01:18:15PM -0400, Dominic Caffey wrote:
> To Whomever may be able to help,
>
>      I'm trying to do an FTP based install via my SMC wireless nic
> onto a Toshiba Satellite 110CT.  I can't get the install off the
> ground because the wireless nic is not recognized and I don't see
> where I can load additional drivers.  The 5.2.1 ver comes with a
> drivers flp image per the following:
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/5.2.1-RELEASE/floppies/
> but there is no drivers flp image for 5.3.X per:
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/5.3-BETA4/floppies/ .
> Can I use the 5.2.1 drivers.flp image with the 5.3.X beta?  I'm a
> newbie at this and have tried to RTFM so please be gentle.  I know the
> hardware's ok because I did a sucessfuly ftp based install via the
> wireless nic onto the same laptop with Debian-Woody-Linux BUT I'd
> rather be running FreeBSD.  Any constructive guidance would be
> appreciated.

All the supported wireless nics should have drivers on the 5.3
floppy sets so if it doesn't work, you will probably have to find
another nic.  We replaced the old system where the kernel had to fit on
one disk and we put a bunch of drivers on the other with a new setup
with GENERIC split across however many disks to takes so everything
should be there.  It's possiable you have a nic that would be supported
it's information were in the database, but that's a nice catch 22 if you
need to use it to install.  It's possiable you have a nic that would be
supported it's information were in the database, but that's a nice catch
22 if you need to use it to install. :(  Could you provide more
information about the nic?

-- Brooks